Search This Blog

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Restaurant Review: Rose Garden, Eastport, Maine.

So I recently returned from my fourth of July trip to the easternmost city in the country, Eastport, ME.  While there, I found a great little bar and restaurant called The Rose Garden.
 The inside of the restaurant part of the place had all this cool artwork on the walls made mostly of corks, random bit of stuff and spray paint.  It honestly reminds me of some of the stuff my brother, Dan used to do in high school.  I especially liked the painted plywood pieces. 
This is my friend Lara, who was quite fond of the art piece pictured on the wall behind her. 

 The food at the Rose Garden was very good.  I had a steak one night that was delicious, but I failed to take a picture until it was gone.  It was just that good.  They serve all their dinner entrees with fresh cornbread, ceasar salad and a choice of potato wedges or what they call confetti corn, which is corn, red peppers, bits of bacon, and some other stuff I couldn't identify.  It was pretty good, but the steak pretty much did me in.  I also had a chance to try some of their ribs, which were excellent.  Lara, myself and our comrade, Ryan split a whole rack and it only cost us $18.  Due to the small size of the town, things seem to cost more, but they are often large portioned and worth the higher price tag.  Their ribs are no exception.
The Rose Garden also features a decent beer selection including a local brew called Andrew's

This stuff is amazing.  I'm going to have to see if Total Wine and More carries this brand.  They had both a Stout and a Pale Ale.   In addition to this great beer, they also had Harpoon IPA, and Sam Adams.  Not that I was really surprised.  New England is home to some of my favorite microbrews including Magic Hat and Boston Brewing Company.
But the restaurant is only half the greatness of Rose Garden.  They also have a side room where live music and DJs play.  They have a decently stocked bar (for a tiny town in Maine, it was impressive.) and the ladies who run this place are the nicest waitstaff and bartenders I've ever seen on a port visit.  Maybe it's just that this town loves the Navy and it was 4th of July weekend, but they put up with so much drama from so many drunken idiotic sailors (I'm pleading the fifth) and were still glad to have us again and again.
They even let me hook up my guitar and play some songs a couple of the times I dropped by.  While there weren't TOO many other places to hang out in town, Rose Garden was still my favorite.  The other bars were usually too crowded and loud and the environment was just a bit more chill for the most part.  Plus, I loved the fact that they have a local art gallery.  You can see the entrance in the back left of the picture above.  All artwork in the place is for sale, even the stuff on the walls in the restaurant.  So, if you ever have the desire to visit the easternmost point in the United States, be sure to drop into The Rose Garden.  Be sure to tell Mandy I told you about the place.  She was very helpful and hospitable.

Hopefully, I can add some more stuff before I head out to sea again this week.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment