Search This Blog

Thursday, June 16, 2011

What The Eff Is That Thursday: Calamari with Broccoli Rice

Just in case you were wondering...
"what the eff is that mound of weird green stuff" in the last pic I posted yesterday...


I've decided to share with you one of the most interesting culinary experiences I've had in my travels with the Navy (even moreso than the haggis I had in Scotland which I will most likely blog about next week). 
Now, when I ordered this supposed delicacy of Brazil, I was expecting some squid rings with some rice and a few trees of broccoli on the side or somethign of that ilk.  Instead, I was served this Half Dome-esque creation that you see pictured here. 
My liberty buddies both concluded that it was the weirdest, if not most disgusting, thing they had ever laid eyes on.  I, however, being the brave of stomach and open of gastronometric (is that a word?  It is now.) mind, thought I really ought to give Iowa a try before passing judgment upon this verily verdant votive of viddles.

Made you think of me...
First off, this thing must have had about half a POUND of butter in it! It was so deliciously "lubricated," that it nearly laminated my mouth.  Second, the calamari rings were firm, yet not rubbery.  If there's one thing that really bugs me it's rubbery seafood.  Be it clams, squid, crab, or shrimp, I can't stand seafood that seems crafted by the Michelin Man.  Third, I enjoyed the way this was seasoned with magical ingredients I can't even begin to guess at, though I know there was at least some basil and a copious amount of salt involved.  Finally, the portion size was just enough to stretch my stomach without making me sick.  It definitely left me wanting to sleep shortly after.  I always blamed that on MSG when eating Asian cuisine, but apparently, the rice has something to do with it as well.  Anyway, my comrades were so amazed by the oddness of this thing that they also felt compelled to take pictures of me eating it, as if they would doubt its existence if they did not capture it in some kind of megapixel glory.  One of them even posted a pic on facebook and tagged me in it, also shamelessly plugging my blog in the process.  Okay, so technically, I put the link on there, but he alluded to it. 
So that's the story and I'm sticking to it.

Join us next time for the return of FAMILY FAVE FRIDAY!!!  (hopefully).

No comments:

Post a Comment